Friday, July 22, 2005

Honest

So I left St. Louis this morning after a hearty breakfast. I had told myself I would do some silly things this trip, so I found myself headed for Collinsville Illinois, home of the world's largest ketchup bottle. It's really a water tower shaped like a bottle to recognize one of the main industries of a bygone time. Yep, Collinsville, horseradish capital of the world.

Moving on, I decided to slow down and smell the roses. I took old route 66 through small town after small town.
.Mount Olive, an old coal mining town, and Litchfield, a totally old route 66 town. Small restaurants, billboards, and small places to stay for the night. I have never seen so much corn at one time. The roads were simply lined with it. Illinois is on the forefront of alternative fuel research.

Continuing on, I found myself in Springfield, the home of Abraham Lincoln. I took a short tour of Abe's house. It was the only house that Lincoln ever owned. Most of the furniture was reproduction as the Lincolns sold most of it when they left Springfield. Two miles South of the house, I rode to the Oak Ridge Cemetery to see Lincoln's Tomb. It was huge, and a very solemn experience.

I continued my trip to Rockville Indiana, home to 32 covered bridges. The bridges range in age from 1856 to 1920. I'm going to ride them tomorrow. I'm in for the night in a small quiet hotel. I'm getting a bit road weary, so am treating myself.

Good Night
Sent via BlackBerry courtesy of CTC Wireless.

3 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi

everything great here. love your notes. weather is moderating here so hope it cools down for you. heard from a friend that they will bankroll you for hotel or motel stays for the rest of the way back. You should take them up on it. speak to you soon.

dad

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,

I'm so happy that you're getting to do this. Miss you but look forward to hearing all of the great stories. Be careful!!!

LOVE,Russsssssss

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Heidi Flash said...

I can't believe you did not send a pic of the worlds largest ketchup bottle [insert look of extreme disappointment] *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home