Saturday, July 23, 2005

Indiana

So I stopped in Indiana in a small town named Rockville at a really cute motel. It was kind of like staying in a friend's house for the night. Now Rockville, is in Parke County which is home to 32 covered bridges, about one third of all the covered bridges in Indiana. So I got to Rockville after a nice day of touring. I saw the world's largest ketchup bottle (see above), and took some time to see Lincoln's house and Tomb. I checked into my motel, and had a nice dinner with the locals at a dive bar with good food and drink. I really enjoyed walking to this place through the small town.

Waking up the next morning, i took a beautiful beautiful ride through many quaint towns to see some of the bridges. Some you can ride through, some you have to walk. This county strives to maintain their bridges while other places let them disappear. It was a splendid ride over about 30 miles of cornfields, amall towns and country. I stopped for breakfast in Bridgeton, and was then on my way to Ohio to meet with the DECOC folks. Now one of the things I was disappointed with on this ride was that Indiana was full of these small towns I have been mentioning. The first hundred miles or so I saw so many beautiful and quiet communities, and then almost immediately, it all changed. From small towns, to strip malls. It was very unpleasant to look at, and could have been anytown USA. I'm not a big fan of urban growth and sprawl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home